Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Historic San Diego County Administration Center and Maritime Museum of San Diego

_________  ARCH+TECH ______
The historic San Diego County Administration Center which was originally built in 1938



The design was intended to complement structures in Balboa Park, a mix of Spanish Revival and Beaux-Arts architecture. Southwestern touches include "a red Mission tile roof, glazed Franciscan inlaid pottery tile, and arched door and window openings." The design of the central office tower included so-called P.W.A. Moderne. The structure also features the detail of Zigzag moderne through the use of a large amount of ornamentation, "recessed windows in vertical patterns," and "smooth-surfaced columns.

Scrimshaw

Carved Scrimshaw Horn
Scrimshaw Horn















Waves and Triangles


_________  ARCH+TECH ______

Here is a little inspiration for those of us that love water. I tried to edit the photographs with the theme, "Triangles". This is at the San Diego Maritime Museum located in front of the Historic 1938 San Diego County Administration Center.

Pythagorean Hull
B & W











let's call IT 
a night











Reference:
Ships | Pictorial works
Campbell, Robert B. Classic Ships of the Great Lakes. , 2015. Print.











Saturday, November 26, 2016

Reid & Reid | Hotel del Coronado

_________  ARCH+TECH ______
Chandelier, possibly j & l lobmeyr glass, Vienna.

The Hotel del Coronado is a beachfront luxury hotel in the city of Coronado, just across the San Diego Bay from San Diego, California. It is one of the few surviving examples of an American architectural genre: the wooden Victorian beach resort and Queen Anne influence. It is one of the oldest and largest all-wooden buildings in California and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1977. When it opened in 1888, it was the largest resort hotel in the world, and the first to utilize electrical lighting. A freshwater pipeline was run under San Diego Bay. Water tanks and gravity flow fire sprinklers were installed. Reid installed the world's first oil furnace in the new hotel.


The Nation First Illuminated Outdoor Christmas Tree

Image result for thomas edison outdoor lights coronado
Source: Library of Congress
Electric lighting in a hotel was also a world first. Mather Electrical Corporation was responsible for the electrical in the building. Thomas Edison inspected the final electrical installation and returned in 1904 to oversee the nation's first illuminated outdoor Christmas tree, which was placed on the hotel's lawn. If you are interested in the architecture or photographs of the building for additional research, there are photographs available at the Library of Congress.




hotel del coronado, 1500 orange avenue, coronado, san diego county, california
historic american buildings survey sketch by e. s. moore, crocker and company, lithographers 1888.
from the collection of the hotel del coronado corporation
Source: library of congress





Queen Anne Victorian architecture
A view from the Rose Garden

 
Queen Anne architecture features turrets, gables and cupolas
























Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1977






.0


Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Frank Lloyd Wright | Studio

________  ARCH+TECH _______


Art Deco 
Stained Glass


"Using Nature as our basis for design, a building or design must grow, as Nature grows, from the inside out. Most architects design their buildings as a shell and force their way inside. Nature grows from the idea, a seed, and reaches out to its surroundings. A building thus, is akin to an organism and mirrors the beauty and complexity of Nature.” 
                                                                           Eric Corey Freed



Frank Lloyd Wright House, Studio and Garden
951 Chicago Avenue
Oak Park, Illinois


Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959), architect
Prairie Style, Arts and Crafts Movement
The Frank Lloyd Wright Home, Studio and Garden served as Wright's primary residence and studio from 1889 to 1909. Wright used his home as an architectural laboratory, experimenting with space, form, light, materials, furnishings and decorative arts. Frank Lloyd Wright referring to the lot purchased from John Blair (1820-1906), nursery man and landscape designer, said, 

"I remember well that I came to Oak Park to live for no other reason than 
                          ... the remarkable character of the foliage on the old Blair lot."

Prairie Style, landscape integration with the home
 West facing, Forest Avenue Entrance
Frank Lloyd Wright Studio and Home built 1889, Oak Park, Illinois




Reflecting the Arts and Crafts Movement

Horizontal Lines

Horizontal Bands of Windows
Frank Lloyd Wright Studio and Home, Oak Park, Illinois





Exterior fence encloses the Chicago Avenue yard replicating the horizontal lines of the studio
Kentucky coffeetrees grace the boulevard
Frank Lloyd Wright House and Studio Oak Park, Illinois





Oak Park Studio Vase Planters along wall
 North facing, Chicago Avenue, Oak Park, Illinois


Geometric architectural Sprite Sculpture
Originally designed for Hyde Park's Midway Gardens Wall  1913-1929,

located at 60th and Cottage Grove, Chicago, Illinois
The original sprites were move to Biltmore Resort in Arizona
 Designed by 

Frank Lloyd Wright, architect 
 and Alfonso Inanelli, sculptor 

Prominent Landscape designers of the "Prairie Style" era are 

  • Jens Jensen 
  • O. C. Simonds
  • Walter Burley Griffin
  • Warren H. Manning



























Pearson and Darling | Parkwood Estate

_________  ARCH+TECH _______
The Parkwood Estate in Oshawa, Canada.



The Parkwood Estate
Located in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada


Parkwood Estate and Gardens has been chosen for Heritage Oshawa Designation. 
The estate was designed in 1916 by the Toronto architectural firm of Pearson and Darling (1897-1923).




William E. Harries, Alfred V. Hall, and Arthur M. Kruse worked on the early topographical site plans.

The landscape architects in 1923 were  Howard Burlingham Dunington-Grubb and Lorrie Alfreda Dunington-Grubb whom sometimes shared projects with the renowned Edwardian landscape architect, Thomas H. Mawson. Sheridan Nursery was owned by the Dunington-Grubbs. They crossbred various boxwoods to provide a hardy boxwood for the Toronto climate.

"Architect John Lyle was hired in 1935 to design and build the New Formal Garden at Parkwood. Lyle was awarded the Special Bronze Medal of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada for this garden design in 1939." 1

In 1963 the Japanese Garden was designed by George Tanaka (1912-1982).

It features an Italian garden, Sundial Garden, Summer House and Sunken Garden.


The R. S. McLauglin Estate
Parkwood
National Historic Site



The formal garden, designed by John Lyle in 1935 with formal lines and focal point. 
The perimeter of the 220-foot long fountain is outlined with boxwood hedges. The large pyramid shaped cedars accent and punctuate the formal greenery while annuals and
lantana standards provide color in the summer. A tea house adds to the beauty of the formal design. This landscape and the urns that populate the formal gardens are considered Art Moderne in style. 

 
Parterre, Formal Gardens.


Peaceful south side terrace with a sundial garden and large expanse of grass.


Beautiful urns accentuate the ballustrade along the south terrace.

The Vinery


Sunken Garden with dry stone wall.


Sunken Garden, pavilion



Italian Garden with reflecting pool, designed 1925. The pool is surrounded by a terrace of flagstone. Small flowerbeds are designed to create a mosaic tapestry planted with low growing plants in contrasting colors to appear as though surrounded by rich carpet. This magical style of planting is known as "carpet bedding."

In the Italian Garden the three graces reflect the true romance of this garden.

Marble statuary, busts on plinths in the Italian Garden. Socrates and Omero  (Homer)











1 "Parkwood Estate - Heritage Oshawa." 2006. 4 May. 2015 

<http://www.heritageoshawa.ca/designations.php?id=4>

Chicago | Hyde Park Neighborhood

________  ARCH+TECH _______
Osaka Garden, Japanese bridge

Designed by Loewenberg Architects 1700 East 56th Street 
Burnham & Root architect Charles Atwood, Museum of Science and Industry
Osaka Garden, Japanese bridge, 5800 S Lake Shore Dr.





Osaka Garden 5800 S Lake Shore Dr.